Sunday, September 02, 2007

Dark Possession by Christine Feehan


First, I just have to say that I LOVE this cover. It's beautiful.
Now, on to real stuff. :) I've loved Christine Feehan for a while now. I don't remember when I first picked up one of the Carpathian novels. All I know is that I was hooked. Solidly. Over the years I picked them up as a saw them at the small local bookstore. Then about two years ago I went searching until I owned a copy of every one. That wasn't an easy tasks, but I put my all in it.
The first novels weren't fantastic, but I felt Feehan had some real potential with the world. She had several too-stupid-to-live heroines, and several heroes that parroted the same lines in each book. But she had some real treasures tossed in too, such as Jacques, who is still my favorite Carpathian.
This story takes place shortly after Dark Celebration, when we really saw a major attack on the Carpathians by their enemies. In Dark Possession Manolito De La Cruz wakes up very confused and disoriented. And his family's guest, MaryAnn Delaney, has no idea why she is so terribly upset at the death of a stranger she had never spoken too.
This story really kept me on my toes, and not only with the romance that Feehan writes. We find out more about the Carpathian's enemies and their plans. And we are introduced to yet another race! But I won't tell you which one. Keep it yourself.
This book kept me from closing the cover at all. I even carried it downtown to read while waiting to buy tickets to see Chevelle. And I imagine I was amusing to watch, standing outside a bar at 11:40 am reading a novel will everyone else is chatting with strangers and smoking.
If you read some of the early Carpathian novels when it was really repetitive, you should really give Feehan another shot. In the past few novels there have been some kick-ass heroines, and some seriously sexy men finding them.

1 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Its cool that you stuck with her eventhough you had some problems with her earlier novels. It is fun to see authors grow in their talent by following them as they continue to write and have books published.

 

"The Dragons Loss Template" designed by Twisted Templates