Monday, March 01, 2010

Kotei Upcoming!

This weekend is a relatively local Kotei. It's a 4 hour drive, but it's the closest we'll get.


Of course, I should actually say what a Kotei is, shouldn't I? My husband is major into a collective card game, Legend of the 5 Rings, or L5R. It's a fun game that I also enjoy playing. I just don't get quite as into it as he does. :) A Kotei is one of the major tournaments for the game. Winners of a regional Kotei are pre-qualified for the big events, such as the tournament at GenCon or the European championships.

None of the folks going from Hattiesburg have a chance of winning. But it will be fun to see folks that play, and to get some playing in. I'm technically a noob, as I have not played much. I have played in two tournaments before though. But nothing like this. The other cool thing about the Kotei is that Steve Argyle, a fantastic artist, will be there. Josh will definitely be picking up some prints from him. And, even if I chose not to participate in the actual Kotei, $20 apparently allows you to play in draft games all day long. I imagine that after we lose a few games and are out of the Kotei playing, we will all do some drafting. I suck at draft. But it is a great way to get cards!

Josh talked to one of the players in Lafayette, LA, and he gave a ton of suggestions to improve my deck. I can't wait to see how it works out. It will be a tiring day, especially with 8 hours on the road, but it will be fun.

Of course, our gaming group has a name and t-shirts. We are the Unstored, because there is not a store in our state, last I knew. (There might be now, but it isn't in our area.) I have t-shirt with the logo on it to wear this weekend. Josh and Joe, a friend who is major into the game as well, have shirts with their own cards on the back. The rule is, once you play in a Kotei you can have a card. We are working on mine now. I play the Phoenix clan, and we've decided I will likely use an animal avatar, a wolf. Now I just have to figure out everything else!!!

0 comments:

 

"The Dragons Loss Template" designed by Twisted Templates